Friday 16 May 2014

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Review!


13224574  Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide   Goodreads_icon_32x32

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: January 5th 2012
Publisher: Headline

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Imagine if she hadn’t forgotten the book. Or if there hadn’t been traffic on the expressway. Or if she hadn’t fumbled the coins for the toll. What if she’d run just that little bit faster and caught the flight she was supposed to be on. Would it have been something else - the weather over the Atlantic or a fault with the plane?

Hadley isn’t sure if she believes in destiny or fate but, on what is potentially the worst day of each of their lives, it’s the quirks of timing and chance events that mean Hadley meets Oliver...

Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it.

Julies Thoughts : 

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith is so filled with sweetness and cuteness, I felt like I’d been munching on Easter Eggs whilst wrapped in the warm and snugly embrace of a giant Easter bunny. Seriously. To be honest, I’m not sure what to say other than that without giving everything away. I mean, we have Hadley, who ends up on the later flight due to missing her original flight to UK for her father’s wedding (her parents are divorced), and so just happens to end up paired with a cute British guy, who’s been studying in the States, on his way home for a date with family. And she has phobia issues, but because said cute British guy is CUTE, he helps her through them just because he’s nice, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Pretty much everything that happens in this book is as expected as you expect it to be. The romance unfolds exactly as you expect it to. All the twists and turns are exactly what you expect them to be. Yet, it still felt VERY fresh. And I think it was all of the surrounding details that made it as such. The fact that her parents aren’t bitter toward one another after their divorce, and her mother isn’t resentful of her dad getting remarried or of Hadley being a bridesmaid at the wedding—instead encouraging her, guiding her. And the fact that the woman Hadley’s father is marrying isn’t the evil stepmother Hadley wants her to be, but is actually really nice. So often, stepmothers are made out to be complete ogres. Makes a change for someone to portray us as nice (I’m a stepmother, can you tell?).

And on top of these is Oliver. Yes, he’s kind of predictable throughout most of the book. However, whilst he’s not in-your-face-swoonworthy, he’s definitely, definitely just … something special. And it ain’t even the hot British guy angle, because, hey, I’m British, so I don’t get butterflies in my tummy at hearing a British guy speak. Nope, Oliver doesn’t need all hearts and flowers or tattoos and piercing or a motorcycle or guitar to draw you in. Oliver just is. He’s enough, all on his own.

Added to these attributes was the ‘voice’ of the book. Sure, there were a good few moments in the narration where I felt Hadley waffled a bit too much, but this didn’t take away from the pacing, and it certainly didn’t take away from the authenticity of the teenage tone that dominates this story from start to finish.

In short: I really enjoyed it, and I can’t wait to read The Geography of You and Me.






9 comments:

  1. The Easter description sounds so cozy. :3
    I've been wanting to read this book since forever! Glad it's plot is fresh despite being cookie-cutter ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book isn't my cup of tea but I'll admit that it sounds good. Lol.

      Delete
    2. Haha. Generally contemporary books (angsty or fluffy) aren't my first choices but there are exceptions. Blame it on all these excellent reviews. :P

      Delete
    3. I'd liken the 'sweet' tone of the book to when I read Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (which I also loved). These are the kinds of books I have to be in the mood for but really enjoy them if I time when I read them just right. ;)
      Thanks for stopping by to read.

      Delete
  2. I've got this book in my iTunes library, but haven't read it yet. After reading your review I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie always does a fantastic review and I'm glad you liked it!! :)

      Delete
    2. You should bump it up. I have The Geography of You and Me by the same author and I'm looking forward to that one, too.

      Aww, thank you so muc, Nat. You're too kind. ♥

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy Julie's reviews, they are so thoughtful. I won this book a while ago but I never received it and I was dying to read it :( I prefer the US cover though :p
    Sometimes I don't mind reading a book where I know what to expect, I enjoy it anyway especially with contemporary.

    I love contemporary books and from what I know this is going to be a movie soon, so even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sucks Ana!! I hate when that happens! Its not something Id read but I know so many people who have enjoyed the book :)

      Delete