Sunday 7 September 2014

Sprung by Kelbian Noel Review!


17780497Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Title : Sprung
Author : Kelbian Noel
Pages : 336
Published : April 4th 2014
Reviewed by Ailsa

Since she discovered magic, seventeen-year-old Skye Jackson's life is almost perfect. Almost. Even perfect has its glitches. 

What happens when the one with all the power makes the biggest mistakes? Welcome to my life.
 

Four months ago, I couldn’t have been happier. When my parents got divorced, I wasn’t exactly thrilled. Especially when Mom married a guy half her age. But then I found out I wasn’t the average Joana. Discovering magic existed and, best of all, I could use it, made everything easier to deal with. That is until I got a little too spell happy. But what girl wouldn't defend her best friend against a world-class creep? Now I’m stuck in a nightmare, forced to make life and death decisions I never dreamed I’d face. 

Extract from Chapter Twenty-Two
It’s been days since we’ve seen each other and the last meeting has me wondering if this is a good idea. It’s not like we have that much of a choice, but I’m still nervous about how she’ll react, when I tell her what I’ve done this time. If I tell her at all.
Hey, Nana. I’ve effed up two more spells since the last time you screamed at me. Remember that guy I killed? Well I brought him back to life, now he’s going crazy. Oh and by the way, this is Ramon some other guy I summoned with another spell I had no business doing. Think you can help us out? That’ll go over well.

Summary
Skye Jackson is a seventeen year old girl, who has just dealt with her parent’s divorce. Although she is pleased they are no longer together, now she lives with her mother and new ‘boy toy’ husband who continually tries to be her ‘new dad’.

She starts visiting her Nana more who for the past five years has not spoken to anyone and is residing in a home. That is until recently. Now her Nan is talking only to Skye and what she has to say is taking up all of Skye’s time. Her nana has informed her that their family is magic and that she herself is a very powerful witch.

Now neglecting her family, friends and boyfriend so she can visit her Nana, they both practice magic. Life to Skye couldn’t be any better even though it has led her to losing her boyfriend (who is feeling left out of her life.)

Things in Skye’s are taking for granted when it comes to magic and using it to her advantage, but when a boy mistreats her best friend Claire and starts an untrue/unflattering rumour around school, Skye decides something needs to be done to teach him as lesson.

She decides to use magic, but soon things go terribly wrong. Skye faces dilemma’s and is left with more questions than answers. 

Following magical mistakes what can she do to fix them?
How can she use magic to help her friend who is in trouble for something that is her fault?
And finally, how can she truly learn to use magic safely and learn what she truly has?

It so becomes clear to Skye that magic comes with consequences.

Now her Nana is back to her old self and not talking to anyone, she needs guidance, but who can really help her even though she now knows that there are some things you are just better off not knowing.

My Views
Slightly, disappointed as it wasn’t another fantastic story about Baltimore, however the heroine, Skye has helped to make up for any disappointment that I may have had starting this book.

I am pleased to say that I was immediately gripped with this, right from the beginning. My personal opinion, is that Kelbian Noel eventually got her groove and this flow from Book one to Book two was seamless, even though they are about two different characters.

Again, Kelbian Noel was able to grip me from the onset with a fantastic plot, great detail and of course the characters. After reading this book, I realised that each book within this series is going to be introducing you to each elemental, which to me personally I find fascinating.

There were quite a few similarities between the heroines in both ‘Roots’ and ‘Sprung’, for instance both Baltimore and Skye are the same age and are no longer with their boyfriends. It also seems that their grandparents have played a huge part in their lives, when it comes to magic. Skye’s grandmother although in a home and has not spoken to anyone in years, suddenly starts to talk but only to her. This is when Skye learns about magic and they both practice spells together and it seems Skye is now obsessed with it whereas Brooklyn truly doesn’t want anything to do with it until it become vital and important to use it to help save and protect not just herself, her sisters, the one’s she loves but to also protect pure magic. Each family have their own special ‘book of shadows’ which is passed down from generation to generation and now it is their turn to use them. 

To me this is where their similarities stop. These two heroines are individual in their own right and they both make great main characters.

I love how they were able to bring some of the characters from the ‘Roots’ into the second story and how Ramon is a special part in the Elemental Sisters lives, which to me was a surprise, especially following what happened in the first book.

This was definitely fast paced, exciting and full of unbelievable action and surprises. With a wide range of twists and turns and the introduction of both old and new characters ‘Sprung’ is a fantastic continuation of the ‘Witchbound’ Series.

‘Sprung’ has made me excited to continue reading the series and to learn more about the Elemental Sisters, their magic and of course their lives.

If you are a paranormal/fantasy fan, then this is a series for you. Fans of Charmed, Willow from Buffy, then you are in for a treat with the ‘Witchbound’.

My rating.


For me ‘Sprung’ deserves full marks – 5 out of 5! Was pleased to have been given the opportunity to read it and truly can’t wait to read ‘Smoulder’ (Book Three) from the fantastic fantasy series ‘Witchbound’.




No comments:

Post a Comment