Saturday 25 April 2015

Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep Review!


22885868Title : Cold Burn of Magic
Author : Jennifer Estep
Pages : 368
Published : April 28th 2015
Publisher : Kensington Books
Source : Netgalley

There Be Monsters Here. . .
It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power. 
I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick. 
But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . 

My Thoughts : 

I loved absolutely everything about this book!! From the flawless writing to the captivating characters, Cold Burn of Magic was phenomenal. 

I loved Lila. She is one kick ass heroine! She has basically been fending for herself since she was young. She knows her strengths and isn't afraid to show them ;) She knows the ins and outs of her town, she kind of has to because she makes her living as a thief! She also lives in the basement of the library!! I mean, whats not to love about this sassy, strong, opinionated girl!! Her tongue is nearly faster than her arm. :) Though she is so strong, she is also so vulnerable. Her mum is dead and she has no one she can totally rely on. In a world fraught with danger, it's better to trust no one, right! 

Then we have Devon Sinclair. He wanders into Lilas life and totally changes it. Devon may have bodyguards but he is well capable of looking after himself, which I loved. He was strong, brave and such a nice guy!! He comes from a prominent family and is expected to act like they do, but he isn't like that. He was such a likable character! 

The best thing for me was the world building. It was phenomenal. Jennifer Estep has created a world where magic is known though not totally believed. Magical Creatures roam the dead of night and the place is ruled by the "families"  The families are known as Mobs, yes, you read that right, Mobs!! Each family has Talents, magical abilities, which the other houses crave. There is an awful lot of fighting between the families, with one trying everything to become the dominant one. The Sinclairs are the second strongest family but things are falling apart for them! It was fascinating and intriguing reading about the mechanics behind the families. 

As I said, I loved everything about it. I loved the captivating characters, the monsters like the Bridge Troll. I loved how unique and old school the monsters were. I loved that Lila treated them with the respect and fear they deserved. I loved the secondary characters, I loved the setting and I loved the plot. This book right here is why I love reading! It captured me from the very first page and brought me on an incredible journey that I was sad to see end. It's an incredible first book in what I know will be a phenomenal series! I'd advise to finish reading this and go buy the book NOW. 


No comments:

Post a Comment