Saturday 30 April 2016

Audiobook Review: The Scattered and the Dead by Tim McBain.


    The Scattered and the Dead, Book 0.5 Audiobook
  • Written by: Tim McBainL.T. Vargus
  • Narrated by: Tim McBain
  • Length: 2 hrs and 27 mins 
  • Unabridged Audiobook
  • Release Date:02-04-16
  • Publisher: Smarmy Press

  • Loneliness drives an agoraphobic shut-in to write a letter to the girl in the apartment across the hall, trying to strike up a friendship. Unfortunately, a series of apocalyptic events interrupt this attempt at human contact. Now he watches out the window as the world gets cut to pieces by plague and riots. There are even rumors of zombies. Getting to know someone could be harder than he thought, let alone surviving in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. He might even need to leave the apartment.

  • My Thoughts: 

  • This is told in letter form, which reads like a journal almost. Decker is the MC and it is his story we are following. He has a crush on the girl across from him but has never told her. Now with the apocalypse happening, he writes her letters and tells her about his days. How can an introvert survive in a cruel world?

  • I wasn't sure what to expect going into this because I'd never heard of it before, but I know I didn't expect to become invested in the character! Decker was such a believable character that it was hard not to root for him. He captured my heart and his journey became mine. My heart broke for his loneliness but rejoiced with his overall development from a quiet introvert to a self sufficient man that knows what he has to do. It was awesome watching him evolve. 

  • Now, don't go into this expecting an action packed zombie book. This isn't it! This is one mans tale of the "before" and the "after". Zombies are just starting to appear but all this man sees is society crumbing with violence. This just wets the appetite for the series to come, and I can't wait!!

  • This is the first time I've listened to a book that both the author and narrator are the same. I wasn't sure if it would work, but in this instance, it totally does. The author was able to bring Decker personality to life. It's often hard for a reader to totally "get" the MC but since it's the author narrating, he does and so was able to portray Decker perfectly.

  • *I received a copy of this for review. This in no way affected my thoughts.*

2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about whether to get invested in this new McBain & Vargus series. Awake In The Dark didn't do it for me but I did enjoy Casting Shadows Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first by them and I enjoyed it enough to listen to more. I might try out the ones you mentioned!

      Delete